Monday, June 8, 2009

What's Wrong or What's Right with Homes Today?

I was surfing the web the other day (I know, what a waste of time) looking for inspiration or new ideas... and actually came across one! I came across an interview with Chris Andreson talking with Watts Wacker & Ethan Zuckerman where a Chinese appliance manufacturer, Haier, was trying to expand their market in rural areas and came across a situation where there was a complaint about cabbage leaves getting stuck in their washing machines. It seems that in rural areas, their washer was being used to wash produce in order to make it better and therefore get a higher price at the market. As it turns out, instead of adding a large notice that their washers shouldn’t be used to clean produce, they added a “produce washing” cycle instead, and therefore added to their market sales.

By watching this video, I thought, “what are some ways people use homes that designers don’t know about?” Therefore, I invite you to send in ideas about ways you use your home, or new ways you would like to use it. What do you use the “Living Room” for? What is the purpose of the “Sunroom?” does doing the laundry spill over into the hall? Would you like to cook more outdoors? Do you exercise in the living room? See what I mean? How do you REALLY use you home, or WANT to use your home? Send me a short reply, I’d really like to know.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin